Monday, August 3, 2009

Randoms

Things have been a little slow down here. Ben was sick a while ago, and then we were both kind of sick, and then I got really sick. So things are looking a lot better and it seems like July flew by. I can't believe we are almost done with second semester- roughly 20 more days! Crazy. We are excited to head up to Michigan over the break and enjoy busy life for a week- at least I am excited for the busyness. In the meantime, I have taken a few pictures during July. They are kind of random, but I think people will enjoy them, it's more crabs, bugs, and animals, along with other things. Enjoy!

Before I begin, here I am at the beginning of "not feeling too well". Ben and I think it's a funny picture. Maybe that's just us.

This is the university's swimming pool. It is where I go to for occasional tanning, swim lessons, and a place to catch up and chat with people. I thought it might be neat to see what the pool looks like.
The weekend that I got really sick was the weekend that Dominica was having it's first International Cricket game in a long time. Supposedly it was a pretty big deal. The game was West Indies vs. Bangladesh. The game was Sunday and Tuesday in the capital. But before the game, they had practice at the field in Portsmouth. So on Saturday a friend and I went to go watch them practice for an hour. We got there an hour late and the team just got on the field to warm up. Typical island life. So we just hung out for a while people watched. It ended up being a lot of fun. It would have been neat to see a real game.
The team warming up. I think it's the West Indies team.
Some of the locals watching them practice. It was kind of a big deal.
My friend and I bought some Seamoss from the guy in dreadlocks. Supposedly it's crushed seaweed with "spices" and is an excellent source of protein. Spices = nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. The green bottle has milk and to it and the orange is original flavor. The green was actually really good, the orange was gross and the consistency of slug slime. Maybe that's why I got sick.

This is a picture of Purple Turtle Beach. It was where our church had the Branch Social and was a huge success. I wish I had taken more pictures. I made really good sloppy joes from scratch. The rope on the right is attached to the palm tree and a people could swing on it. If you climb the tree high enough you could jump into the ocean- like Ben- which was super silly because it was shallow and he could have hurt himself.

Ben and I were able to get some sun in between his classes. Here he is playing with a sick crab that died once he flung it into the ocean. We saw it floating on the bottom later.
One day I was walking home from campus and saw this huge katydid, or as I would categorize it as cricket, on our porch. It was huge!!! We took tons of pictures, because it was pretty cool.

As big as Ben's hand.
And here is a picture of our cow in the field next to our apartment. The building behind it is campus where the gym is. But the cow has a white heron on it- so we took a picture. Fun!

2 comments:

  1. I love the sick pic- I laughed... also tell me when you do cool things like cricket game people watching (although I know I would have drank the slug sludge and probably gotten sick too- so maybe you're inspired;) cute fun pictures- good job documenting! I hate to sound bossy, but I want wedding pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you were sick.
    We are all looking forward to your visit!
    Yucky big bug.

    ReplyDelete