Saturday, October 17, 2009

Treasures

One day a few weeks ago I went for a run. Silly. I finished my exercise at the beach so that I could walk along it to cool down. I must have been rewarded for running because I found a ton of treasures! Maybe I should run more.....

Dried up reef.

A baby conch shell. We have about 20 of these in our house.


A giant conch shell that had a lot of wear and tear on it. It isn't super pretty, but I thought it was cool that I found one this big.


A baby sea urchin.
And the big prize! I found this sea urchin covered with spikes. It still had it's leathery beak-y mouth attached and smelled really bad. So I gave it a good wash and tried to get some of the spikes off. It's still on our porch outside, drying off and dying.

Here it is clean. Impressive! It's size is about the palm of my hand (5 in or so).
So I apparently I have moved on from crabs to shells. Yay.

3 comments:

  1. Cool treasures! You should totally hit the beach more often after your runs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I love this post! first running?!! of course you were- second- the treasures the treasures! hooray- and let's play :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty pretty. i have a thing with collecting the coral. i am just in love with it. :)

    ReplyDelete