Thursday, May 21, 2009

Catchin' Crab

A few days ago I tried baking in my oven for the first time. It is really tiny, gas, and I have to light it with a match every time I use it. I tried to find a long lighter torch thingy, but they only had battery operated at the store across campus. Which I wasn't sure I trusted. I did find one in town, but the lady didn't sell it to me because she said she didn't know the price and it wasn't for sale. Rude. Anyways, I made chocolate chip cookies that turned out pretty good! They taste a little different because all the sugar here is grainy and the brown sugar looks/tastes like the white sugar has been dyed. But the cookies must of been good because I lost a bet today to our friend Dylan and so now I have to bake him some. I also made super yummy banana cinnamon rolls tonight!! They have whole wheat, banana, coconut and walnuts in them. They came out super moist and not burnt! So I think I might sell them on campus- and make some money- or break even. Either way it will give me something to do. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe!

So when I made the cookies our friends Deb and Dylan came over to try them. It turned out that while they were baking a huge land crab was away from it's hole and at the gate entrance to our apartment. Their holes are outside our window along the fence, and at first I thought they were big snake holes, but it turns out they are homes to land crabs. They are huge and supposedly eat grass and mango. So the boys decided to catch it with a stick and a pot. I tried video taping it outside but it was too dark. So I did when we were inside- contemplating if we should cook it or not. Ben decided it had a disease so he tossed it back onto the lawn- we found it in the yard this evening dead. The death could be a result of its disease, the 5 foot toss into the yard, or the extreme humidity we had today.


1 comment:

  1. I'm thinkin Noah and Isaac will LOVE Ben! I'm grossed out that you put it near your cookies.

    ReplyDelete